Our Friends at Magothy are:
- Using rain barrels to water the native plant garden that surrounds the enclosed portion of our Outdoor Classroom.
- Visiting the wooded Nature Trail with the birdhouses, interpretive Nature Trail signs and story circle in the woods.
- Maintaining a butterfly garden.
- Feeding our snack scraps to our worms in the composting worm bin.
- Growing vegetables in our mobile sun garden. The plants grow in wagons so that the children can pull them out into the sun everyday.
- Observing native animals in our indoor science center.
- Actively recycling and composting, and teach it to our children.
- Coming together as a community to celebrate the seasons. Our Autumn Harvest Celebration and Spring Garden Celebration are held outdoors.
- Visiting ecologically interesting sites and learning from groups such as Living Classroom and Chelonia Eco Adventures.
- Playing in in our hands-on science center. It is filled with natural items, magnifying glasses, a little world of forest animals, and critters.
- Making art from used materials. We reuse paper, save scraps for collage. Our bottle cap crab mural is displayed in the garden.
- Supporting the wildlife by feeding, providing nesting materials and birdhouse for the birds. We grow milkweed for monarch butterflies.
- Going outside in all kinds of weather to explore and play.
- Camping in the Outdoor Classroom during class time for all of Earth Week.
- Have duel flush toilets in our child bathrooms.
Learn more about outdoor education at Magothy: http://magothycooperative.org/environment/outdoor-classroom